Learning & Development.
Want to become a referee?
The RFU's aim is to provide you with all the necessary information on refereeing in England.
Whether you are an active match official, a volunteer administrator or are considering taking up the whistle for the first time, you have a pivotal role to play in the development of officiating in this country.
For current and potential officials, refereeing is a great way to give something back to the game you love, while also helping to widen participation in the sport.
Whether your aspirations are to referee your local Under 9s on a Sunday morning or progress to officiating at Twickenham, the RFU will support you every step of the way.
These pages have information on how to get involved in officiating in England and details on the range of courses the RFU offers. The extensive refereeing resources section also provides relevant refereeing documents, covering issues from discipline report forms to injury prevention advice.
Up and coming referee Luke Pearce offers a great case study ( read case study – Luke Pearce ) of what can be achieved if you have the talent and desire to succeed and progress as a referee.
Visit the RFU Online Course Booking page for more information http://www.rfu.com/takingpart/olcb
Enjoy your refereeing !
Entry Level Referee Award (ELRA)
For new or inexperienced referees, the Entry Level Referee Award (ELRA) offers an outstanding introduction to refereeing a game of rugby union and will equip you with the skills and confidence to do so effectively. The ELRA is recognised by the RFU as a formal refereeing qualification.
When booking please note the following:
- Choose the most convenient dates and location for days one and two. For the majority of courses, day two occurs one week after day one.
- If it is an individual booking, payment must be received with the application form and may be made either by cheque or by providing your credit card details.
- If paying by cheque, the application form must be submitted in hard copy to:
Rugby Football Union Rugby House
200 Whitton Road
Register for your ELRA course now!
- Latest Red Card Form
- Latest Abuse Report
- Points that could help your refereeing
- Coaching Positions
- Secondary Signals
- Advisor Referee Interaction
- Coaching Continuity
- Managing Coaches and Captains
- Personal Development Program
- Society Training & Development Strategy
- Dave Rowlands: National Coach Mentor; England Athletics Presentation To General Meeting Jan 2012
- Richard Potterton's Presentation On Yellow Cards
- Rolling Substitutions FAQs
- Coaching position on field and scrum engagement MOD
- Coach & Dev Refs Refereeing Season 2013-14 MOD
- Red Card Report Guidance
- Cup Competition Rules & Regs